Baked Eggs with Roasted Red Pepper and Chardonnay Sauce
(Serves One for the Eggs 4-6 for the sauce)
2 tsp. salted butter, melted
2 tsp. heavy cream
¼ tsp fresh dill (1/8 tsp dried dill)
Pinch Black Pepper
2 Tbl. Shredded Havarti Cheese
Pre Heat oven to 400 degrees
1. In a 6 – 8 oz baking ramekin, swirl melted butter to coat sides and bottom.
2. Add heavy cream
3. Crack both eggs, being careful not to break yolks.
4. Sprinkle in salt and pepper
5. Sprinkle in Cheese, and top with dill.
6. Place in oven for approximately 12 – 14 minutes or until eggs are just barely set.
7. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before service – the dish and eggs will still be very hot.
For the Sauce :
1 Medium Red Bell Pepper
2 tsp. Salted Butter
¼ cup Chardonnay
¼ cup Heavy Cream
Pinch of Salt
1. Roast Pepper until completely black over open flame on grill or gas stove. (you may also place under a broiler in the oven)
2. Allow to cool for 5 – 10 minutes and remove blackened peel under slowly running cool water.
3. Rough chop pepper and sauté I butter in a small skillet for 5 minutes over medium heat.
4. Add chardonnay and reduce heat to medium low. Allow Chardonnay to reduce to 1 Tablespoon or so.
5. Place pepper mixture in food processor or blender. Add salt and heavy cream and puree until smooth.
6. Gently reheat on stovetop over low heat, do not allow to boil.
7. Serve warm sauce over baked eggs and serve immediately.
CHORIZO SWEET POTATO HASH AND CREAMED SPINACH WITH POACHED EGGS
FOR CHORIZO HASH:
2 # SWEET POTATOES, SKIN PEELED AND DISCARDED, THEN SHAVED INTO STRIPS WITH PEELER
1 STRIP OF BACON
1 LG YELLOW ONION, MEDIUM DICE
1 # CHORIZO SAUSAGE, CASING REMOVED AND DICECD FINE
8 POACHED EGGS
CHOPPED BELL PEPPER AND CILANTRO
SALT TO TASTE
FOR CREAMED SPINACH:
¼ CUP SHALLOTS, MINCED
1 ½ TABLESPOONS UNSALTED BUTTER
1 ½ TABLESPOONS AP FLOUR
1 1/2 CUPS WHOLE MILK
½ CUP HEAVY CREAM
2 OZ. CREAM CHEESE
I LARGE BUNCH FRESH SPINACH, (OR 1 PACKAGE (10 OZ) FROZEN CHOPPED SPINACH)
2 TABLESPOONS PARMESEAN CHEESE
DASH OF HOT SAUCE
SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
1. In a large skillet, sauté Chorizo until cooked through. Remove from pan saving 1 T grease and chop into small pieces. Add onion to saved grease and sauté until edges are golden.
2. On greased baking sheets, spread sweet potato strips in thin single layer. Bake for 20 minutes tossing once until slight browning occurs. Remove from baking sheets adding to chorizo mixture. Season with salt and keep warm.
3. For creamed spinach, defrost spinach and squeeze of excess moisture. In separate sauce pan heat milk, cream, cream cheese, and parmesan until cheese is incorporated. Add to Roux and whisk until smooth. Add spinach and season with hot sauce and salt. Keep warm.
4. Poach eggs until desired hardness. Keep warm
5. For plating, spread spinach in a ring around middle of plate. Add sweet potato hash in center of ring. Top with poached eggs, and garnish with paprika, chopped bell pepper, and chopped cilantro, (if desired)
LEMON CORNMEAL BLUEBERRY PANCAKES
2 CUPS BUTTERMILK
ZEST OF 1 LEMON
1 ½ CUPS STONE-GROUND YELLOW CORNMEAL
1 CUP ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
2 TABLESPOONS SUGAR
2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
½ TEASPOON BAKING SODA
½ TEASPOON SALT
3 TABLESPOONS MELTED BUTTER, SLIGHTLY COOLED
1 LARGE EGG
1 TABLESPOON VEGETABLE OIL
1 1/2 CUPS FRESH BLUEBERRIES
1. Mix thoroughly cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. Whisk buttermilk, egg, lemon zest, and butter. Add to cornmeal mixture. Blend gently.
3. Heat non stick skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes. Pour a little oil in pan and spoon ¼ cup of batter to form pancakes. Add 10 to 12 blueberries per pancake.
4. Cook on each side for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Keep warm in 200 degree oven until service.
FRESH BLUEBERRY SYRUP
1 Cup sugar
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
1 Cup water
1 Tablespoon butter
1 Cup fresh blueberries
1. Whisk together sugar and cornstarch.
2. Add water, whisk and put over medium low heat.
3. Allow mixture to come to boil and simmer for 3 minutes while stirring often.
4. Add blueberries and butter and stir for an additional 2 minutes.
ITALIAN SAUSAGE STRATA WITH SUN DRIED TOMATOES
1 Pound Italian Sweet Sausage, Casings removed
2 Medium shallots, minced
½ Cup drained oil packed sun dried tomatoes, chopped
8 Large eggs
4 Large Egg Yolks
1 ½ Cups half and half
1 1/2 Cups Heavy Cream
½ Teaspoon salt
¼ Teaspoon black pepper
2 Cups Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 13x 9 x 2 baking dish.
2. Prepare all ingredients before beginning to cook.
3. Sauté sausage while separating into small crumbles until cooked through. Add shallots and sun dried tomatoes, cook for 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Mix in ½ of cheese when cooled. Pour mixture into greased baking dish.
4. Mix together eggs, yolks, half and half, heavy cream salt and pepper. Pour over sausage mixture.
5. Top with remaining cheese and parsley; bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Slice and serve warm.
Meet your Chef, (although he prefers to call himself a "cook"), Greg Dusenberry. Greg is also one of the owners/innkeepers, and when he is not in the kitchen, is busy being our Virginia B&B's master gardener, head of maintenance and landscaping, oyster farmer, first mate to our boat captain, and resident pool boy. Greg has worked on several organic farms in NC and PA, and because of his passion for food, decided to learn how to cook. He got most of his training at the well known "Weathervane" Restaraunt in Chapel Hill, NC before helping to open the Mad Hatter Cafe in Durham, NC and then working for several years for Whole Foods. After opening our B&B in 2009, Greg began developing unique breakfast recipes that highlight our fresh local eggs and organically grown produce. We hope you enjoy!